Wednesday, February 1, 2012

All Alan Lomax field recordings streaming online from March

Sound Designers take note: this is research paydirt!


The Wire is reporting that in March, all of Alan Lomax's recordings are going to be available, in their entirety, for free, right here.  Currently, the recordings are only available in 45-second snippets.

I can't tell you how much Lomax has meant to me.  His work (both on his own and with his father) as an ethnomusicologist) has preserved old musical styles and re-ignited interest in their performance. His field recordings span time, place, and genre, and I've used them in research on many of my designs and scores. The newgrass movement, the resurgence in the folk movement, Moby's album play... they all owe a great deal to Lomax's recordings and scholarship. I can't wait for this collection to come available.

Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment